You know a car kit is coming together well when you get the engine in and the wheels on!
The Chevette is making good progress now. It’s funny just how well the engine fits into the chassis; the transmission really seems to join up to the drive shaft and everything seems to be pretty well thought out. Also, the exhaust manifold joins the exhaust pipes through a third, separate piece. Normally exhaust systems are a tricky fit; since there is no adjustment in the chassis mounted-system (it’s moulded-in…) I thought it would be quite a pain. I was wrong. It actually fit amazingly well.
Well, almost everything: the instructions aren’t clear as to how the radiator shell is supposed to go in; does it sit on top of the chassis, in front of it or what? I’ve got in positioned wehre I think it should go, but anyone’s guess is valid at this point. Also, the engine bay accessories (battery, unknown fluid tank) aren’t very clear, but this stuff usually sorts itself out.
I didn’t install the hubcaps because the Alclad is pretty fragile, and I don’t want to ruin it with handling. Most MPC’s seem to need a lot of fiddling and adjustment in the final phases of assembly, so I have to take that into account. Also odd is that a lot of times you can bolt the interior bucket to the chassis, but on this one the bucket has to go in first, it seems, and the chassis bolts to it thereafter. You can tell this is an older kit, I guess.
Well, all that’s left now is getting the body and interior on, and then doing finishing touches like the bumpers, tail lights, hubcaps and side mirror. Oh, I have to do the inner rear view mirror, too. Can’t forget that!